Senior Game Developer
Mojang AB is a games studio based in Stockholm, Sweden. Founded in 2009, we're likely most famous for our debut title, Minecraft! Since releasing the game, we've sold enough for it to become the second best-selling game ever, brought the title to every major videogame platform, released in nearly every region of the globe, put on the biggest single-videogame convention in the world, created an amazing charity and so much more!
But we're not just known for Minecraft. We’ve released the card-collecting tactical battler Scrolls and dabbled in publishing with Oxeye Game Studio’s awesome side-scrolling robo-blaster Cobalt. We’re developing more games too. You'll hear more about those soon!
Since 2014, we've been a part of Microsoft Studios, known for first-party game franchises such as Halo, Forza and Gears of War. While the acquisition has hugely expanded us as a company, we’ve kept our vision for Minecraft true and been able to release the game on loads more platforms - including, most recently, the new Nintendo Switch!
We’re currently extending our team to design, develop and maintain extensibility features for Minecraft, adding the possibility to extend our C++ codebase to enable similar possibilities to Minecraft: Java Edition mods. Minecraft is a modern phenomenon, but it'll only stay that way if it continues to grow and evolve, embracing new ideas and platforms. That's where you come in!
We’re looking for someone who wants to grow with the game and participate in shaping its future. Considering you’re thinking of applying for a position here, you’re probably a friendly, talented person. Good luck with your application!
Role expectations and opportunities
- Work closely together with the team to implement backend systems to integrate C# bindings for game related mechanics
- Contribute to the design of the extensibility interfaces (plugin API)
- Refactor existing internal systems to support our interface design
- Interact closely with our community, and see your work being used by millions
- Fluent in spoken/written English
- Willingness to relocate to Stockholm, Sweden
Qualities we seek
- 5 or more years of experience in the game or tech industry
- Experience with working on managed and unmanaged hybrid environments
- Worked in or has lead teams of several developers
- Ability to quickly get up to speed with existing code
- Extensive knowledge of modern C++ (11, 14) and C#
- Familiarity with at least one interpreted language
- Proficiency working in Windows & Unix based systems
- Keen interest in software development and technologies
- Have experience with the Mono runtime
- Familiarity with implementing features in games with an entity-component-system
- Experience with playing or developing Minecraft: Java Edition mods
- Have developed and shipped a game or similar product
- A personal education budget, that you can allocate on anything (e.g. conferences, courses and literature) that will help your work. Develop yourself in an ever-changing industry with our generous education programme!
- We give you an annual wellness grants to spend how you see fit (for example gym membership, or massage)
- The office is located on Södermalm, right in the heart of Stockholm
- Stockholm's an incredible city, and home to some of the most famous game development studios in the world (DICE, Avalanche, MachineGames, etc).
- Team days out – we think it's important to create bonds with the individuals you'll be working most closely with – so we provide frequent days out, letting individual teams choose a fun bonding-activity!
- We have a Summer party and a Christmas party, consisting of a fun day out (a boat tour this last summer!) and then food and drinks at a classy establishment, chosen by our employees.
- We provide full relocation assistance for all applicants from outside of Sweden
- We provide all employees with private health insurance